The Church of St Bartholomew is situated at the south border of the municipality of Semanín. The oldest reference to its existence dates back to 1350, when it was an all-wood building. At that time, the village, including the church, was among the territorial possessions of the bishops of Litomyšl. The contemporary stone-brick version reflects the early Baroque character the church acquired during its reconstruction in 1696. As a result of the reconstruction, the building has a simple oblong shape with a rectangular choir, a smooth-surfaced façade, and a front face without towers. The only arched area inside the church is the choir; the ceiling of the nave itself is flat. In 1857, the church acquired the status of a parish church.

Next to the shrine is a detached bell tower. It is a robust rectangular building that has a bricked ground floor with a passage and a wooden, asymmetrically retreating first floor; the whole construction is crowned with an onion dome covered with shingles. The defence-style bell tower was built probably at the beginning of the 17th century, based on its architectural style and the bell dated to 1609.

For several years, the church building has been under repair, and restoration works have been underway to return some interior items to their original appearance. The aim of these efforts was to create a space that would serve liturgical purposes, and install an exposition reminding viewers of the interesting history of the village. Since 2012, people have had the opportunity to visit the Semanín Renaissance exposition that was organised and implemented by the Pro Semanín civic association with support from the Municipal Museum of Česká Třebová.

For details go to

The administrator of the Church of St Bartholomew The Roman Catholic Parish - Deanery in Česká Třebová
Klácelova 1
560 02 Česká Třebová
Tel.: 731 626 171

Dean (Parish administrator): Mgr. Miloš Kolovratník

The current church service programme

Monuments open to the public


The premises of the cemetery with the bell tower dating back to the early 17th century and the church dating back to the end of the 17th century are featuring the Semanín Renaissance exhibition (operated by the Pro Semanín civic association), open to the public.



Matějka, B. – Štěpánek, J. – Wirth,
Z. Soupis památek historických a uměleckých v politickém okresu Litomyšlském /A Listing of Historical and Cultural Monuments in the Political District of Litomyšl/, Prague 1908, pp. 147-150.